Monday, July 20, 2009

Mariah Carey "Obsessed" Round 2: Lyrical Craziness




Well I blogged on the new Mariah Carey track "Obsessed" not so long ago. My thoughts are still the same, upbeat, fun, summer-ish but I've now got to add since revisiting it the last few days that I am now kind of all over it. I'm not sure why but it has just clicked me for the piece of kooky, catchy superstar pop that it truly is.

Firstly the "oh oh oh oh oh" hook is stupidly simply but the kind of "Umbrella" style earworm that I'm going to find myself waking up at 3 in the morning singing (honestly) and the fact that the chorus contains the line "Lying that your sexing me" is quite obviously genius.

In fact the whole song is an exercise in Mariah dropping disses and weird lyrics while (I always visualise) flipping her hair and twittering about being in love with Nick Cannon.

How about a top 5?

"You a mom and pop, I’m a corporation
I’m the press conference, you a conversation"

Genius because obviously Mariah understands both modern economics and the world of high profile press events.

"You graspin’ for air, I’m ventilation"

Mariah also sees herself as giver of air to people. which given her vast wealth, doesn't seem like alot to give.

"Last man on the earth- still couldn’t get this"


This, readers, is what those in the hip hop bidness call a "diss". Fascinating


"Got you all fired up with your Napoleon complex

See right through you like you’re bathin’ in windex"


Not only does Mariah grasp French history she also likes to wash windows. If that isn't a sign of a down to earth star I don't know what is.

"And I was like, why are you so obsessed with me?"

A spoken word intro referencing Mean Girls? There are introductions and then there are ... AMAZING introductions. This is clearly in the second category.

Lyrical wonders aside there is now the video which to be honest is a tad dull BUT does offer the sight of Mariah Carey... DRAG KING. Which might be a nice second career for her given that (surprisingly) this track is currently stalling on the US chart and has barely registered a blip on this side of the pond. Odd.

That video in full, with embed disabled of course >:(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HySaxslOrYw




1 comment:

  1. Nice post. You've missed though that this track is about Eminem. Why she had to wait until he fat and washed up before making a retort, I don't know.

    ReplyDelete